Over 150 Years Of Great Food And Drink! On a bright and sunny afternoon, September 17, 1849 to be exact, the proud owners of the newly built Diamond Hotel opened their doors for the first time.
During and immediately after the Civil War, the Diamond Hotel became a Veterans Hospital, however, the saloon on the ground floor continued to flourish.
After being returned to private ownership at the turn of the century, The Diamond was remodeled and renamed the Hotel Manteo. It remained as such until the McCaffrey family sold the property in 1978. In 1986, Henry’s on the Hudson was established in what is believed to be the original space of the Diamond Hotel’s saloon and of course using what is believed to be the original mahogany bar! In 2007 Whistling Willies opened its doors continuing a 150+ year tradition of great food and drink.